Before settling in Seville, Dr. Arcia grew up in the southern United States after moving from her native Cuba with her family. After her basic education in the State of Alabama, her Higher Education was shared between the University of Seville, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Department and major Hospitals in Miami, Florida, such as Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami Children’s Hospital, Veteran’s Administration and Mercy Hospital. Magdalena worked in the field of psychiatry and psychotherapy in South Florida with bilingual English and Spanish patient population of all ages. She also worked as Clinical Trial Research Coordinator in the Psychopharmacology Department, University of Miami’s Medical School.
For more than 20 years, Dr. Arcia has made Seville, Spain her home where she has worked in the Mental Health Public System of Andalusia, with psychiatric patients, both in hospital settings and outpatient facilities. Currently Magdalena works in her own private practice with people from all over Spain as well as from different cultures and European countries. Her Cognitive Psychotherapy sessions inspired by the discipline “Mindfulness” are personalized, treating a wide range of psychiatric, emotional-behavioral problems in children, adolescents and adults.
Because of her own multicultural experience, Dr. Arcia has become an expert in Intercultural and Cross-Cultural issues, developing a great interest in how cultures influence emotions and in turn affect people’s behavior and thinking. Magdalena places great emphasis on couple’s therapy whose members come from different cultures and where their psycho-social and cultural origins of each person causes a great impact on their relationship.
Dr. Arcia has also worked closely with international companies and study programs in Spanish universities, giving lectures on intercultural issues, especially attending to foreign students in Spain adapt to their new environment.
Collaboration and Media
- Interview about “The importance of mental health” at Radio Nueva Era (5/5/2016 )
- Interview about “Eating disorders” at Radio Nueva Era (16/6/2016 )
- Chat about anorexia and Bulimia at Alcalá de Guadaira Broadcasting station humanosradio.com, humanoscoaching.com
- Interview on the website of reference experts “Especialistas Magazine“
- Articles about “Mindfulness and SELF – COMPASSION” and an interview of who I am and why I do this type of therapy. Claver&Egler Journal (nº12, october/november 2015. Starting at page 24)